Getting Started Accessing Your Online Course
- Check your current e-mail account or UTPB letter containing your University Identification (UT ID) and details about your PIN number.
- Claim your FalconID and set your password at https://falconid.utpb.edu/
- Before classes start verify your schedule at my.utpb.edu using you FalconID and password you setup. (Ok to allow display non-secure items on your browser.)
- Use my.utpb.edu for all your academic and accounting information.
IMPORTANT! UTPB email is for all UTPB official business including classwork. Outlook 365 is used for UTPB email. To login you use your FalconID with the @utpb.edu extension. Email is the only place you have to use @utpb.edu at login. For more information about UTPB email see http://ird.utpb.edu/information-on-email/
Looking at your schedule in my.utpb.edu, locate the name of your instructor. The UTPB Directory has every instructor's email account. It's a good practice to send your instructor an email before classes start.
Find Course Materials
Get your course materials before classes start or during the first week of the semester. You can purchase your materials in person at the UTPB Bookstore or online at http://www.utpbshop.com. Another source is the UTPB Syllabi posted at http://general.utpb.edu/VPAA/ief/index.html
Check the Academic Calendar http://www.utpb.edu/services/academic-affairs/office-of-the-registrar/academic-calendar for the first day of class.
To access your online class the first day of the semester:
- Go to Course Login https://utpb.instructure.com
- Username: lastname_firstinitial+last 5 numbers of UT ID and password created at my.utpb.edu
- Once you log on,the first day of class you will see your course(s) listed under Dashboard in Canvas.
Don't see your class on the Canvas Dashboard?
- Easiest thing to check while in Canvas is the left-hand menu Courses button and look under All Courses. You need to place a star on your course for it to appear on the Dashboard. Any class you have registered for that is in a future term will appear under All Courses. Handy to know!
- Check the Academic Calendar to confirm the date the term starts. Still no course?
- Recheck your schedule in my.utpb.edu to confirm your enrollment.
See you course but it does not let you in, the link does not work?
- Your instructor may not have published the course in Canvas yet. Send an email to the instructor if the first day of class has arrived and online course has not appeared.
For Canvas training, check Canvas Student Tutorial to help you prepare for your online course. For more quick tips, see the Canvas FAQs or the Orientation to UTPB Online.
Once you're in your course, start with the Syllabus. Look for a Start Here section, some classes have the Syllabus there. Read the Syllabus carefully so you will be aware of expectations, assignments, and due dates which begin the first week of class. Navigate around in the course to get familiar with it.
Online Survival Tactics
- Keep a copy of scheduled assignments/tests due dates next to the computer you will use for your coursework.
- Use Canvas Notifications for alerts to your device when there are new messages, announcements, etc. See
- Expect to work just as hard in your online class as you would in a face-to-face on campus course.
- Pace yourself. Divide work by the number of weeks or days you have before a deadline.
- Complete your online tests/assignments early! Waiting until the last minute to submit tests/assignments may cause you to miss deadlines.
- Have a backup plan in case your computer fails. Use a friend's computer, go to a library, or locate on open computer lab on campus.
Need help? Don't wait!
Technical problems will occur. Be patient. You have options for help
- Call Canvas Help 24/7 at 1- 866 437-0867 (toll free)
- Use Help in Canvas for Chat/Submit a ticket
- Contact UTPB at email@example.com for my.utpb.edu and email problems
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are totally lost about where to go for help. REACH staff are here to help.